Master Plan Homes Inc. is a residential construction company based in Lexington, SC.
It is operated by Jon Foster and Salim Khalil.

Monday, June 16, 2008

House Plan Design & Drawing

While things were slow for us earlier in the year, I took the opportunity to learn something new, something I've had an interest in for years - drawing house plans.

My goal was to become proficient enough to be able to design efficient house plans similiar to those provided by other local draftsmen. I have no intention of becoming an architect so if you need one I'd likely point you to our friend Pete at von ahn design. Thus far I've succeeded in my goal as I have drawn several plans, one of which I teamed with an engineer on and we are currently building. Another custom house plan which I drew for a client is on the schedule to begin construction in a matter of weeks.

Learning how to draw working house plans came pretty quickly for me for two reasons. First, I am drawing with a Computer Aided Design (CAD) software called SoftPlan. I was formerly a computer programmer and applications developer so I have a fair amount of computer-related experience working for me. Second, as a licensed builder, I get to see houses constructed in real life on our job sites. This gives me the insight to know of certain things that work well and others that don't at all. Not everything that is drawn on paper will work in the real world.

All this being said, everytime I work on a house plan I am learning new things. The learning never stops in the business of home design and construction. I think that's one thing that makes it fun... If you need your own house plan drawn, let me know and I'll be glad to assist you.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have you every purchased from Designer Plumbing Outlet? Inexpensive lighting too.